Monday, February 21, 2011

Another Gardy Guard - WTP V2



So after Sean came over on Sunday to put the first WTP front guard on his bike I have turned up a new one with a few little improvements. As per his suggestionss, this guard is now as large as I can make it at 2.7", which covers  over 15mm over each side of the flange; more than enough to protect these hubs and your spokes. Also, I have made them so the guard goes past the hub shell, so you can see in the bottom photo it will sit closer to the spokes. This gives the guard more clearance from the fork leg (which was an issue with the first one). This guard isn't milled out to save weight, and I have kept as much metal on it as possible for maximum strength. Sean will be testing this prototype for me until the first batch of chromoly guards have been produced.


For all those interested, I planned to purchase the metal from Tullamarine stockists tonight but they haven't sent me through the invoice yet. They say they have a huge backlog, and are still trying to get orders out from January! Having to wait sucks, but means that I'm forced to wait and see how these prototype ones fair.

Also, this Friday night I'm going to be making a drive-side guard for the Ratchet hub which Oli will also be testing for me. Thanks heaps to Sean, Oli and Louis Petridis who have been such a great help.

No comments:

Post a Comment