Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Gardy Guard Update - Odyssey Rear

I'd planned to get this done Friday but needed to get some work done. Just finished this this afternoon, it's the first High Speed Steel (HSS) rear guard for Odyssey Style hubs. It took a while to get done compared to the other ones but I was waiting for tools to thread them with. They now have a 14mm thread in them all the way through, completely one piece design.

I've been thinking about the best way to tighten these onto the hubs, and have drilled a hole to suit a 6mm Allen key (hex-head) in this one. Conventionally wrench flats (usually 17mm, 19mm or 21mm) are used, but it's rather tricky to put these on using a lathe. This design will give plenty of leverage to get them screwed tight enough, but isn't as convenient because it's not the standard.

Sean said he's happy to test this for me so it will get to him sometime this week, giving two weeks for testing before I start to make the first batch. I'm planning that this design will stay for the proper guards, but we'll just need to see how the testing goes.

Whilst I'm posting, all the other testing has been really positive - on all guards - and the general design will stay for the first batch. The only thing that will change is the size of them, I'm going to make them as large as possible (2.75"/70mm) in diameter; allowing as much of the hub to be covered as possible.


Keep checking for more updates during April.

No comments:

Post a Comment